Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Well, they put that in well...

This weekend we tore out the base cabinet in Erin's room in preparation for fixing the hugely cracked pipe. Admittedly I don't know much about kitchen installation - but I think they did a pretty good job installing it, because it took us forever to get it out! Highlights of pain included having to turn off the water to the entire house as the cutoff valve to the sink didn't work, another trip to the hardware store for a bigger wrench, hitting my elbow on the edge of the sink in the middle of a full-body sledgehammer swing, discovering little worms under the cabinet (EW), and the hole in the floor. Number of things accidentally destroyed: one. And I think we needed new molding for that door anyway.

This is what it looked like when I bought it (I forgot to take a newer before picture):


And this is what it looked like after 8 hours:

It was VERY DIRTY. You may be wondering why everything is covered in drywall, duct tape, and paper. Because Erin didn't want to sleep in a room with big holes in the walls and floor - can we really blame her? And why is the sink faucet hanging from the upper cabinets? Because I bought the wrong size caps for the pipes, and needed to put something on there so we could turn the water back on...

The base cabinet is now in the basement, as we thought it could be repurposed into a lovely laundry area. I wish there was video of the two of us getting that thing down a flight of stairs, through the house, out the back door, down into the basement, and around a basement corner - but sadly, you'll just have to imagine it. The bump on Erin's head is gone I think, and my bruising is fading... ;)

Slideshow:

No comments: